Website Metro Human Relations Commission
The Metro Human Relations Commission (MHRC) works to protect and promote the personal dignity, peace, safety, security, health, and general welfare of all people in Nashville and Davidson County. The Commission’s work is organized around a theme of “One City for All People.” This motto guides all MHRC education, training, advocacy, and compliance services.
Issue Date: 09/12/2017
Final Filing Date: 09/22/2017
The Policy and Research Specialist takes the lead in developing and implementing the organization’s data gathering and analysis, research, and policy agenda. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position will work on collaborative, innovative, outcome-oriented programs and projects to achieve the agency’s mission through governmental, economic, cultural, and social channels.
****Cover letter must be included with application****
• Manage research projects related to the MHRC mission.
• Communicate the results of research projects to internal and external constituents through a variety of avenues (research reports, convenings, trainings, conference presentations, web resources, etc.).
• Identify and communicate regularly with community partners regarding policy goals and recommendations, program collaboration, and opportunities for community education.
• Analyze and maintain up-to-date organizational policy data to report on programs and monitor trends.
• Participate in long and short term program development and planning.
• Perform needs analysis studies, through questionnaires and community listening sessions to identify specific needs for programs and/or policy recommendations.
• Monitor and analyze relevant activity in Metro Council, in the executive branch, and in partner organizations county-wide.
• Provide strategic analysis and background for the development of MHRC’s annual policy agenda.
• Assist in developing and implementing strategy for advancing policy goals with key decision-makers in the legislative and executive branches.
• Assist with MHRC presentations, seminars, or workshops.
• Attends and/or chairs meetings and workshops as needed.
• Supply technical expertise to partner organizations as needed.
Any combination of education and experience that would prepare the incumbent to perform the duties of the position at the appropriate level. Employees would typically have a Bachelor’s Degree and considerable experience in a professional field related to public policy, sociology, community development, or related area.
Candidates with accreditations earned in a foreign institute are encouraged to apply.
Licenses Required Valid driver license
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Master’s Degree in related field.
• Knowledge of pertinent research and analytical methodology.
• Experience in preparing or presenting complex issues or material to non-specialists.
• Ability to exercise judgment in all phases of analysis.
• Experience writing statistical/analytical reports.
• Experience participating in publications, grant applications, and reports through collaborative writing.
• Ability to keep accurate records and write detailed reports.
• Ability to collaborate closely with the Executive Director to identify partnership and funding opportunities and promote relationship building among MHRC and other organizations, agencies, and/or individuals.
• Ability to work and communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
• Thorough knowledge of Microsoft office suite and at least one data management system.
• Demonstrated ability to work on deadline, be highly organized, and maintain accountability and strong communication with others in collaborative projects.
Note: Per Metro Ordinance No. SO94-1078. All employees of the Metropolitan Government shall be residents of the State of Tennessee or become residents of the state within six (6) months of employment as a prerequisite to employment with the Metropolitan Government.
**An Incomplete application or missing documents may result in disqualification. Fill in complete work history, do not attach resume in lieu of requested information**
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nashville/jobs/1847006/policy-research-specialist-prof-spec-human-relations →